[Updated 2021-10-11, see below to solve issue upgrading kernel]
After my ThinkPad T400 bit the dust, it was time to upgrade/replace. As I have been doing more CAD work, and have been tempted to play with Blender, when I saw a ThinkPad W520 with integrated Nvidia Quadro 1000M for a good price, how could I resist.
However, this was not the smooth ride I was expecting – and the first time I’ve ever had such a bad experience with Debian.
Following on from a slight leaking plumbing issue (read: toilet fell through the floor), I had to undertake some DIY. As I had to replace a chunk of the floor anyway, my other half decided it was time to give the room a general little spruce up.
Here you will find my latest useful creation, a phone mount for my car. It uses the CD slot for mounting, and from their my phone connects to a bluetooth FM transmitter to allow my music/GPS/phone calls to come in over my car radio.
It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything… Since being in the new house, tinkering with my 3D printer has absorbed roughly 75% of my free time. Although I got my printer and kit-form (with oh-so-useful hidden instructions written in Chinese), I was fully expecting some work to be involved. But I wasn’t expecting the learning curve I found! See these failed test prints…
3D printing is a wonderful and interesting new technology, but it is not consumer-ready by any stretch of the imagination. If you decide to invest in a 3D printer, prepare to learn everything about how it works. And if you’re not willing to spend many hours tweaking, learning, and failing repeatedly, I recommend not buying a printer. Just order 3D printed objects from a maker online if you desperately need something.
I faced several issues on my journey to reliable prints (and they could still be improved), but below you’ll find my essential setup tips.
I’m finally somewhat settled in the new house, and have simultaneously had the time, space, and motivation to build my Prusa i3 clone!
This is the built printer, before managing cables (not the zip ties in the corner). The build was slow going, as there was no instruction pamphlet in the box, and being a no-name Shenzhen factory special, I had no model name or site to visit. It is similar to many documented kits, but not identical. As I was winging-it during construction, there were times I had to go backwards and rebuild when I’d missed something…
For a very close friends birthday, I wanted to do something special. As I’d already modified a few gameboys by this point I thought I’d up my game in that department. He is a massive Zelda fanboy, who’d preordered both the limited edition Zelda 3DS (based on Ocarina of Time), and the limited edition Zelda Wii U (based on Wind Waker), I thought he’d appreciate a DMG gameboy done in the style of Link’s Awakening.
He’s not into making chiptune, so I didn’t bother putting in a line-out or any other such hardware. But I did custom decals on a new shell, matching buttons, and a backlight. And it came out looking great! His face when he opened it (along with a copy of Link’s Awakening) was worth all the time I put into it.
After the jump there are some pics of what the official limited edition 3DS & Wii U look like. I think I copied the basic design ideas pretty well. Let me know in the comments!
As you may tell from my album, I quite like the “chip” sound. With that in mind, I got quite interested in legitimate chiptune creation, and not only got a hold of LSDJ, I also started modifying gameboys for this very purpose. And I set forth creating some music-making equipment themed around the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!